Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Try a Photo Challenge (Or Not)

       My sister Debi is a pinner. She found Pinterest and made it her own long before I ever stumbled and fumbled around with it. She has many beautiful boards full of very clever things.  In fact I thought you had to be clever and crafty to be a part of Pinterest so I steered clear of it. I stayed away until I figured out I could use it for photography stuff. Now I love it.  I particularly like to follow photographers and photography tips and that's where I found this "25 Days of Christmas Photo Challenge."




       Yep, a photo challenge, one of those “get your camera out every day" and make a picture of the next thing on the list things that are all the rage these days. I'd wanted to try one and a 25 day commitment sounded a lot less daunting that one for 365. It seemed fairly simple. Take a picture for each day's theme and share it. How hard could it be?

       So I decided to go for it and I invited my sister to join in. Actually, I made a rather broad public invitation on Facebook and no one but my sister accepted. We started a day late (but not a dollar short) and our first task for Day 2 was to photograph "Making Memories".  Now that's something wide open to artistic interpretation. See how these things work?  But the results that day gave me my first inkling of just how much trouble I was in. I took a picture of my Epson scanner; my sister took a shot of a lovely Advent calendar like the ones she always had for her kids when they were small. Sigh.  Round 1 clearly went to Deb and I knew I had to step up my game.

       Now you might be thinking that something like this shouldn't be a competition. But you'd be wrong. Call it a fun little activity, even a bonding opportunity if you like, but we're talking about my sister here and my baby sister at that. Surely you've heard of sibling rivalry? I'm the one with a slight edge when it comes to cameras and gear, but she loves Christmas. She decorates. She bakes.  She is the mistress of all things Christmas. And this is a Christmas photo challenge.  Day 3 was "Scents of the Season". Debi has Christmas mugs. I have never had any such thing. See what I'm up against? Here's what we ended up with - 





By the way, my cookies came from Shaw's. Day 4 was "The Tree". She has trees. Raise your hand if you think I do. My tree picture was taken at Shaw's. Thank goodness Shaw's was selling these mediocre little trees for $9.99. 



And so it has continued. Nearly every afternoon since we started I've gone somewhere with my camera trying to find a wreath or some lights or even a snowman. My wreath picture came from a jewelry store display. Debi's came from her own front door. 

There's more. There's much more to tell and many more pictures to take. It's Day 18 and I haven't given up, but I have to find some sweaters. Anyone have any ugly Christmas sweaters? Message me.

TO BE CONTINUED




No comments:

Post a Comment